Inter director Beppe Marotta has expressed irritation at comments by the agent, and wife, of striker Mauro Icardi.
Wanda Nara claimed on a television show last week that Icardi continued to reject transfer offers from Napoli because he still believes he can salvage his Inter career.
The Argentine striker was informed at the beginning of the summer that he was not part of Inter’s plans and would not be included in their squad.
Icardi was frozen out of pre-season preparations by new manager Antonio Conte and was stripped of his No 9 jersey to make way for new arrival Romelu Lukaku.
Yet he has repeatedly rejected offers from Napoli and insisted that he will only leave the San Siro for reigning champions Juventus.
Last week, Nara said on Mediaset show Tiki-Taka that Icardi ‘doesn’t believe it’s over at Inter’ and that ‘there were offers that nobody in the world would’ve turned down, but he said no for Inter.’
But Marotta reacted angrily to the remarks, saying:
‘We greeted Wanda Nara’s comments with a pinch of irritation, both for the timing and the method.
‘I can also categorically deny that someone at the club told Icardi to stay at Inter, especially not president Steven Zhang.
‘The strategy Inter have taken is precise and we communicated it clearly in the right time frame.
‘We’ll continue like this to the end and nobody at Inter can change this common approach that is shared by everyone.’
With the Italian transfer window set to close on Monday, time is running out for Icardi to secure a move away from Inter and it looks set to be a miserable campaign on the sidelines if he doesn’t change his position.