Uefa also accused Inter of “insufficient organisation” and their supporters of “throwing of missiles and/or fireworks”. The case will be heard on April 19.
UEFA had been expected to charge Inter, but Pira Powar, the executive director of anti-racism group FARE, said last week that he thought the club would face a relatively light punishment because it was their first offence in Europe.
Powar told the Press Association:
“Our observer at the match did hear monkey chants towards Adebayor, and other things.
“The issue with Inter is that this is their first offence in Europe so if they are found guilty they are only going to be facing a fine. One of the things we are pushing for is that the sanctionary process is unsatisfactory.”
It is not the first such incident involving Inter this season, with the Italian FA fining the club €50,000 after fans waved inflatable bananas and unfurled abusive banners aimed at AC Milan‘s Mario Balotelli and Sulley Muntari in last month’s Milan derby.
That followed the imposition of a €15,000 fine when Inter fans chanted racist slurs about Balotelli, who left the club in 2010, during a game against Chievo.